Pony horrifically disfigured in a suspected acid attack had a ‘world first’ pioneering operation using fish skin to heal its burnt face.
Cinders was eight months old when she was found wandering in agony with horrific burns to her face, believed to be caused by an acid attack.
When she arrived at the Rainbow Equine Hospital in North Yorkshire she was heartbreakingly weak and unable even to open her eyes due to the severity of burns to her eyelids.
Jamie Peyton, who had developed a process of using fish skin grafts to treat animals burned in wildfires, flew in from California to perform groundbreaking surgery in May 2018, working with a team of vets and a plastic surgeon from the world-leading burns unit at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield.
After recovering, Cinders found a forever home at a beautiful country house in North Yorkshire.
New owner Julie says: “I am so proud of Cinders and how she has come through this, she so deserves this award. She is an absolute hero and just a wonderful part of our family.”